82mm SANI 2B24 carrier mortar is designed mainly to engage (suppress), by high-angle fire, the enemy's personnel and firing assets located:
- in the open as well as in field entrenchments;
- on the back sides of hills and in canyons;
- near the forward edge of the battle area.
The mortar can be used to fulfill the following tactical tasks:
- damaging tranches, ditches, communication trenches and light log-and-earth shelters;
- breaching wire obstacles;
- infantry fire support;
- adjustment of fire and target designation with the use of smoke and illuminating mortar bombs;
- screening the enemy firing positions and observation and command posts with smoke, laying a smoke screen in support for the infantry attacking the enemy's defense lines;
- illumination of the battlefield forward edge and the enemy firing positions, observation and command posts.
82mm mortar fires the following fragmentation bombs: 3-O-26, O-832 D, O-832 DU и 3-O-12. Other types of mortar bombs can also be used to perform certain tactical and fire tasks: smoke (D-832DU and D-832 A), illuminating (S-832 S) and leaflet (A-832 A) bombs.
At customer request, the mortar can be installed on various wheeled and tracked chassis to improve mobility of the weapon system and increase the crew protection level.